- Dish type
- Rice pudding
Greek rice pudding is simple, comforting and delicious. Best enjoyed cold - if you can wait that long!
Greater London, England, UK
76 people made this
- 90g uncooked short-grain rice
- 500ml water
- 500ml full fat milk
- 4 tablespoons caster sugar
- 125ml full fat milk
- 4 tablespoons cornflour
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ground cinnamon to garnish
MethodPrep:5min ›Cook:40min ›Extra time:4hr chilling › Ready in:4hr45min
- Add rice and water to a large saucepan and place over high heat. Bring to the boil, then immediately lower heat to medium-low. Allow to simmer uncovered very slowly, stirring occasionally, until most of the water has been absorbed and the rice is soft, about 30 minutes.
- Add 500ml milk and 4 tablespoons sugar. Raise heat to high. While the mixture comes to the boil, mix together 125ml of milk with 4 tablespoons cornflour.
- Once rice and milk mixture boils, add the cornflour mixture along with 1 teaspoon vanilla extract. Stir well to combine. Remove from heat.
- Ladle rice pudding into individual serving dishes (ramekins work well). Sprinkle with cinnamon. Allow to cool to room temperature, then chill in the fridge for at least four hours or until cold.
I've also made this rice pudding with goat's milk with fabulous results!
Reviews & ratingsAverage global rating:(8)
Reviews in English (4)
Just made this for a New Year party. I thought that there was too little rice until I added the cornflour and then the magic happened! I've tried it hot and it is fantastic, I cannot wait to try it cold just before New Year.-30 Dec 2011
A lovely rice pudding that I found best served chilled! The cinnamon on top is a must! I didn't use pudding rice, just regular rice from the cupboard that I had to hand. I think it would work with almost any rice. Try this, you won't be disappointed!!!! Thank you Diana for a wonderful recipe!-01 Jul 2011
this recipe is gr8 ..my nan used to make me this. sadly she passed last year and never got her to teach me how to make it..its my favourite ..made it today for the first time ..come out exactly like she used to make it ..well chuffed-16 Feb 2015