- Dish type
This is a rich and creamy Indian dessert recipe with the goodness of milk, nuts and the natural sweetness of carrots.
30 people made this
- 1 kilo (2 1/2 lb) organic carrots
- 50g (2 oz) sultanas
- 115g (4 oz) assorted nuts (cashews & pistachios) chopped
- 5-6 green cardamoms, peeled
- 5-6 cloves
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg powder
- 5 tbsp ghee (clarified butter)
- 500ml (17 fl oz) milk
- 6 tablespoons extra thick double cream
- 200ml (7 fl oz) sweetened condensed milk
- 250g (9 oz) caster sugar, or to taste
MethodPrep:15min ›Cook:45min ›Ready in:1hr
- Wash, peel and grate the carrots.
- Rinse and dry the raisins. Chop the nuts finely and reserve some for garnishing. Grind the cardamoms and cloves into a fine powder using a mortar and pestle.
- Heat the ghee in a heavy non-stick pan until it melts.
- Add the cardamom, clove and nutmeg powders to the ghee until it begins to give off aroma of the roasting spices.
- Add the chopped nuts; cook until you get the aroma of the roasting nuts.
- Add the grated carrots to the pan. Keep sauteing the grated carrot till the water begins to evaporate and the volume of carrots in the pan appears to be lesser.
- Add milk. Let the carrots cook in the milk till almost dry. Keep stirring and cook over a low heat to avoid burning.
- Add the cream and sweetened condensed milk; continue stirring until the mixture becomes slightly dry again.
- When the condensed milk and cream are absorbed, and the carrots are thoroughly cooked, only then add the sugar (according to the sweetness you prefer.)
- Continue cooking until the liquid dries up and the halwa leaves the sides of the pan.
- Garnish with the remaining nuts and serve warm or chilled with a scoop of vanilla ice cream.
Reviews & ratingsAverage global rating:(2)
Reviews in English (4)
Altered ingredient amounts.The recipe doesn't say what to do with the raisins so I added them with the carrots. Please, please, please don't add 250g of sugar - I added 2 tablespoons and that was more than enough.-26 Apr 2009
This is a very different dessert but we enjoyed it. The toasted nuts were lovely. Like I said in my tweak - please, please, please don't add 250g of sugar - I only added 2 tablespoons & that was more than enough.-26 Apr 2009
Altered ingredient amounts.In winter season when we have carrots in plenty we make this recipe often. But our ingredients are diffferent. We use double quantity of milk. Like 1 KG carrot. washed peeled and grated and 2 liter full cream milk. In a wolk add milk and carrot and cook on slow fire till the milk evorates and the carrot is completely mixed with the thickened milk. Then add ghee clarified butter say at least four table spoons and keep on frying. After 10 minutes addd sugar as per test and cook till it again thickens. Remove Add nuts of your choice and remove from fire. Serve hot or cool as per your test.-30 Oct 2009