- Dish type
- Vegetable salad
- Beetroot salad
This sophisticated beetroot salad is simple to prepare, but still as special as it is delicious. Serve as a light meatless main or as a starter.
437 people made this
- 4 medium beetroots - scrubbed, trimmed and cut in half
- 5 tablespoons chopped walnuts
- 3 tablespoons maple syrup or honey
- 300g mixed salad greens
- 125ml freshly squeezed orange juice
- 60ml balsamic vinegar
- 125ml extra-virgin olive oil
- 60g goat cheese
MethodPrep:5min ›Cook:30min ›Ready in:35min
- Place beetroot into a saucepan and fill with enough water to cover. Bring to the boil, then cook for 20 to 30 minutes, until tender. Drain and cool, then cut in to cubes.
- While the beetroot is cooking, place the walnuts in a frying pan over medium-low heat. Heat until warm and starting to toast, then stir in the maple syrup. Cook and stir until evenly coated, then remove from the heat and set aside to cool.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the orange juice, balsamic vinegar and olive oil to make the dressing.
- Place a large helping of salad greens onto each of four salad plates, divide walnuts equally and sprinkle over the greens. Place equal amounts of beetroot over the greens and top with knobs of goat cheese. Drizzle each plate with some of the dressing.
You could also try using honey instead of maple syrup to sweeten the walnuts in this recipe.
Reviews & ratingsAverage global rating:(496)
Reviews in English (347)
UPDATE: I love, love this salad. For the beets I like to roast them (as you would a potato-1 hour @ 450, wrapped whole in foil) then cubed marinated overnight in vinegar (balsalmic or red wine). I also sub feta for the goat cheese. 9/15/2007:Whenever I go to Cheesecake Factory this is the salad I order. Thank you so much for this recipe (its going to save me so much $ to make it at home). The only changes I would make is to substitute pecans for the walnuts and add some roasted asparagus spears.-15 Sep 2007
Very tasty. For the dressing instead of OJ concentrate I used a sprits of regular OJ and it tasted just fine. Combination of the goat cheese, beets, and nuts really pops your taste buds. Loved it.-04 Nov 2006