- Dish type
- Side dish
Any game fowl can be used for this easy but unique recipe.
7 people made this
- 1 (1.75kg) whole duck, dressed, innards reserved
- 4 cloves garlic, crushed
- 3 tablespoons crushed black peppercorns
- 3 (5g) sachets sazon seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon olive oil
- 175g uncooked long grain and wild rice mix
- 40g seasoned croutons
MethodPrep:35min ›Cook:3hr55min ›Ready in:4hr30min
- Preheat oven to 230 C / Gas 8.
- Place the duck on a rack in a roasting tin. Rub the crushed garlic and pepper under the skin of the duck. Rub the skin with 1 sachet sazon seasoning.
- Roast 3 hours in the preheated oven, to an internal temperature of 80 degrees C.
- Place the reserved duck innards and 1 sachet sazon seasoning in a saucepan with enough water to cover. Bring to the boil, reduce heat and simmer 30 minutes, until tender.
- Place the rice mix in a medium saucepan with just enough water to cover. Mix in the oil and 1 sachet sazon seasoning. Bring to the boil. Reduce heat, cover and simmer 25 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- In a bowl, mix the cooked innards, cooked rice and croutons. Stuff the cooked duck with the mixture to serve.
Sazón seasoning can be found online or in some Caribbean or specialty shops. A well known brand is Goya.
Reviews & ratingsAverage global rating:(4)
Reviews in English (4)
Is there an alternative to saźon seasoning as don't know where to get that...-22 Aug 2014
by Mrs. Evelyn Paradies
We could not find the sazon seasoning packets in our little grocery store so Juanita and I used Lowry's seasoning salt instead. I did not have to use buckshot to get my duck since I had a lot of ducks already in the pen thinking they were going to get some sour mash. I chose the fat duck which would have been greasy but I poked it full of holes first and set it upon celery stalks which kept it out of it's own grease. Very good duck and we all liked it.-16 Feb 2009
by Soup Loving Nicole
I made a couple of changes. My bird was nowhere near 4 pounds and so I was too nervous to cook it at 450. I chose 350 instead and it was done in two hours. We also didn't keep the innards because we do not like them so I completely skipped this step. Hard to give an accurate review since my bird was not what the recipe called for but I do think the combo of flavors and the sazon was good for the duck. Thank you!-19 Feb 2011