- Dish type
- Bean salad
- Chickpea salad
This is my variation of tabbouleh. Absolutely delicious!
79 people made this
- 140g bulgur
- 250ml boiling water
- 120ml vegetable oil
- 125ml fresh lemon juice
- salt to taste
- ground black pepper to taste
- 100g chopped spring onions
- 1 (400g) tin chickpeas , drained
- 50g chopped fresh parsley
- 100g grated carrots
MethodPrep:20min ›Extra time:1hr soaking › Ready in:1hr20min
- In a heatproof bowl, pour boiling water over bulgur. Let stand 1 hour at room temperature.
- In a small bowl, beat together oil, lemon juice, salt and pepper. Pour over bulgur; and mix with a fork.
- Place bulgur in the bottom of a nice glass serving bowl. Layer vegetables and chickpeas in this order on top of the bulgur: spring onions, chickpeas, parsley and carrots on top. Cover, and refrigerate. Toss salad just before serving.
Reviews & ratingsAverage global rating:(84)
Reviews in English (64)
The idea is great, and I will make this again, but with modifications. There was way too much oil in this. The oil basically overpowered what should have been the fresh, delicious flavours of the ingredients. Next time I will halve the oil, but keep the same amount of lemon juice, add more vegetable layers, like cucumber and sweet red pepper, and maybe add a few chopped toasted walnuts on top to give it some crunch.-26 Sep 2007
Great recipe! I was really surprised how much I enjoyed it. However, I would reduce the amount of oil next time. I used a high quality oil and it was too rich. I also used cilantro instead of parsley, which I like. I imagine this recipe would taste great with cucumbers too.-29 Mar 2002
Excellent! This recipe was a huge succes with all my friends. I like this version since it is more nutricious for vegetarians. I added virgin olive oil and a little bit more lemon juice since the bulgur absorbs lots of the juice. It is good to replace the bulgur with couscous sometimes. I always keep it in the fridge for a few hours before serving.-09 Jan 2003