- Dish type
- Side dish
- Vegetable side dishes
Braising Brussels sprouts in cream brings out their nutty flavour and people love this recipe when I make it. The first time I made this, it ended up being dinner - not a side!
72 people made this
- 50g butter
- 680g Brussels sprouts, trimmed and quartered
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt, or to taste
- 250ml double cream
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice, or to taste
MethodPrep:5min ›Cook:45min ›Ready in:50min
- Melt the butter in frying pan over medium-high heat. Add the Brussels sprouts and salt. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the sprouts are browned in spots, about 5 minutes.
- Pour in the cream, and bring to a simmer. Reduce the heat to low, cover, and simmer until the sprouts are tender and easily pierced with a fork, 30 to 35 minutes. The cream will have reduced in volume, and will have taken on a creamy beige colour. Remove the lid, and stir in the lemon juice. Allow the sprouts to simmer a few minutes more until the cream thickens and coats the sprouts. Season to taste with additional salt and lemon juice before serving.
Reviews & ratingsAverage global rating:(84)
Reviews in English (68)
So rich and very tasty - never enjoyed sprouts before but this is a real winner.I didn't need to cook sprouts for much longer than 20 mins once cream was added. Kept warm for some time and they didn't spoil. Might consider adding bacon at the start next time.-25 Dec 2011
So yummy and easy to make!-04 Sep 2017
Loved these. I will be making them again. Even 2 confirmed sprout haters eat them! In he eat of Chritmas dinner serving, I did leave out the lemon juice by mistake, but theyowing were still glorious. Looking forward to trying them with it next time.-26 Dec 2016