- Dish type
- Vegetable soup
- Tomato soup
- Tomato basil soup
This creamy tomato soup recipe is absolutely delectable. When tomatoes are in season, you could puree 800g of fresh tomatoes in a liquidiser, then add to the soup as you do the passata.
22 people made this
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 800g passata
- 4 tablespoons anise flavoured liqueur (such as Pernod)
- 1 tablespoon crushed fennel seed
- 4 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 500ml single cream
- 45g chopped fresh basil
MethodPrep:15min ›Cook:35min ›Ready in:50min
- Melt the butter in a large saucepan over medium heat until foamy. Cook and stir the onion until golden brown, about 10 minutes. Stir in the passata, anise liqueur, fennel seed, salt and pepper, bring to the boil, reduce heat and simmer to blend the flavours, about 30 minutes.
- Stir in the cream and basil, and heat on low heat until the soup is hot but not boiling. Puree until smooth with an immersion blender. Alternatively, pour the bisque into a blender, filling the pitcher no more than halfway full. Hold down the lid of the blender with a folded tea towel, and carefully start the blender, using a few quick pulses to get the bisque moving before leaving it on to puree. Puree in batches until smooth.
Adjust basil and fennel seed amounts to taste. Serve with crusty baguette or toasties. It also makes a fabulous sauce for tortellini and peas.
Reviews & ratingsAverage global rating:(28)
Reviews in English (24)
Absolutely delicious! Left out the fennel seed (too much for my husband) and used one cup whole milk and one cup half-and-half. Can't wait to make this with fresh tomatoes this summer. Truly a masterpiece. Thanks for such a fabulous flavor.-05 Feb 2010
This is a good "thick" soup. I did not have anise liqueur or half-n-half, so I used 1% milk. I think next time I might add a cup of V8 juice or vegetable broth to make it more soup-like not sauce like.-05 Apr 2010
by Jude Boese
This is wonderful and easy to make. I cut the salt in half and use 2Tlb dried basil instead of the fresh as it's hard to find good fresh basil here. I also add about 1 pound raw shrimp and 1/2 pound scallops and one can of chopped clams for the last 5 or so minutes of cooking (the shrimp turn orange when done). It's an amazing meal that always seems to evaporate before my eyes. Thanks Kim.-12 Jan 2011