- Dish type
- Grain salad
- Rice salad
A healthy salad with a delicious orange juice vinaigrette.
50 people made this
- 280g (10 oz) uncooked brown rice
- 750ml (1 1/4 pints) water
- 150ml (1/2 pint) orange juice
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 dessertspoon orange zest
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 150g (5 oz) spinach leaves
- 2 large oranges - peeled, sectioned, and cut into pieces
- half a red onion, cut into slices
MethodPrep:10min ›Cook:50min ›Ready in:1hr
- In a large saucepan combine rice and water. Cook over high heat until mixture boils. Reduce heat to low, cover and cook for 45 to 60 minutes or until rice has absorbed all liquid.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl whisk the orange juice, oil, balsamic vinegar, honey, orange zest and salt. Pour dressing over hot cooked rice and mix well. Cover and chill until cold.
- Just before serving, stir the spinach leaves, oranges and onion into the rice mixture. Serve immediately.
Reviews & ratingsAverage global rating:(41)
Reviews in English (33)
by Linnea Land
Used different ingredients.I MADE THIS SALAD FOR A LADIES LUNCH AND IT RECIEVED RAVE REVIEWS. I COOKED THE RICE IN VEGETABLE STOCK AND ADDED DRIED CRANBERRIES FOR COLOUR. WOULD MAKE THIS AGAIN IT IS A WINNER.-24 Jul 2008
Something else.I don't know how the original recipe would have come out, but w/ the way mine came out, I'd give it 5-stars! I made some minor adjustments: 1) I added a clove of garlic as another reviewer recommended - it was strong at 1st, but great the next day, just right. 2) Secondly, after tasting the salad, I felt it was too "vinegary," so I added in another tbsp or 2 of oil & some more OJ (about 2-3 tbsps). An alternative would be to cut back on the vinegar to begin w/, to about 1/2 the amount. 3) The recipe says to stir in the spinach, onion & oranges right before serving, but the next day, after having sat in the dressing, the salad tasted sensational- MUCH better! The 1st day I would have given it 3-4 stars, but the second day I'd give it 5! The spinach leaves & rice really soak up the flavour. This is definitely a salad that's better to make the night before serving. I also added in some diced cooked chicken breast I had leftover from the night before & made it into a whole meal. That was delicious!-24 Jul 2008
by VIRGINIA ADDIS
Used different ingredients.Based on a couple of reviews that said this dish was bland, I made some modifications and the dish was delicious. I toasted some flaked almonds, which gave great flavour.-24 Jul 2008